top of page

Self-Harm Prevention

what YOU can do

Find out how severe the situation is. If you are worried about their safety call 9-1-1. 

Ask why they do it & how it makes them feel. Try to determine what the need fills. 

See if you can make a safety plan with the individual.

Remove access to share or dangerous objects. 

Let them know you are there for them - that your priority is to keep them safe. 

WHO can help

Seek counseling or mental health treatment.

  • Private therapist

  • School counselor

  • Call a local or national hotline 

  • Reach out to a social worker

  • Contact another licensed mental health worker 

Medical or Emergency Care

A clinic or emergency healthcare provider is able to evaluate and determine the appropriate level of care. The patient will go through a medical screening process so medical providers can determine the best treatment based on the patient’s needs. This may include referral to a mental health professional or hospitalization.

bottom of page